Sunday, May 7, 2017

Rockcastle Narrows

4/20 - 4/21/17
2017 bag nights: 7
animals: 3 snakes, turtle, butterflies
Hiking song: Homegrown Tomatoes by Guy Clark

I dropped the kids off at school and headed south on I-75. I got to the Sheltowee Trace Trailhead on KY192 about 10. Within a 1/4 mile, I saw a cat walking down the trail. The minute he noticed me, he picked up the pace and I never saw him again. Kind of weird seeing a cat on the trail.

The trail goes downhill and the little trickles and creeks get bigger. There are lots of 3-6 foot waterfalls and some campsites along the creek.












Then the creek drops down into a gorge and the trail stays up high. There is a 50ish foot waterfall across the valley.




After a couple miles, we get to Van Hook Falls.






A beaver has been working

The Rockcastle River where it meets the top of Lake Cumberland. There was an obvious boater campsite with tons of garbage here. Beautiful location ruined by idiots.

Interesting rock inscription


Awesome campsite near the Rockcastle Narrows.

It was easy to climb out onto the rocks and watch the water and clouds. The day was warm enough that I thought about jumping in the river, but it was too cold, instead I splashed a bunch of water on my head. 




The next day I had an easy hike back to the car. The rain held off until I was about a mile from the car. Clean dry clothes and an easy drive home. Then accompanied the family to Keeneland for a beautiful day at the races.

Random flowers and wildlife. There were lots of wild irises.

Also lots of "fire pinks"


Fleabane?

This snake scared the shit out of me. It was not interested in getting moved off the trail with a stick, it kept striking at the stick. Eventually, it shot off the trail about 40 feet in a couple seconds.

Saw another one (smaller) the next day. Also refused to get off the trail, kept striking at the stick.

I like this kind of wildlife more :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.