Friday, July 6, 2018

Jailhouse Rock

Martin Fork Trailhead, Red River Gorge
4/5 - 4/6/18 (1 night)
2018 bag nights: 6

I parked at Martin Fork, for a Thursday, the Gorge was very crowded. The parking lot was full and cars lined the road. With Tunnel Ridge Road still closed, I headed up the Rough Trail to the Grays Arch Trailhead and then out to the end of the road. I passed a bunch of people in the first mile to the road, but then everyone disappeared, except for one couple that I passed on the road.

I hiked out to Pepe's Point enjoying the views and the perfect hiking weather and then filled up on water near Star Gap Arch.


I then headed out to Jailhouse Rock where I planned to spend the night. It had been a while since I had hiked out there and I had never planned on camping on that ridge, so I wasn't sure exactly where I was going to end up. I was hoping for sunset, stars and sunrise views, but had to settle for the sunset through the trees and stars and sunrise views.

Even looking east, the sky was very pretty after the sunset, the view made the bourbon taste better.

The clouds did not cooperate with the stars, but it was nice sitting and watching the clouds move.

The next morning was a muted sunrise, but still nice.


I had a leisurely breakfast with a second cup of coffee before breaking camp and heading towards Double Arch and then across to Auxier Ridge.



I was surprised to run into one couple out on Auxier Ridge. They gave the impression that they had never been out there before and it is not an obvious dayhike with the road closed. Later I passed a dad and kids on bikes along the road and then more dayhikers on the D Boone Trail. Another beautiful day and the Gorge was packed, but I still got my solitude for most of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.