Friday, September 30, 2016

Tarr Ridge

9/29/16
Tarr Ridge Trailhead
Red River Gorge

I decided to take a personal day and head to the gorge. I had heard good things about Tarr Ridge and it sounded like a good way to fill a couple hours and maybe scout for a place to hang a hammock.

I got to the trailhead and there were two cars there, one with an overnight hang tag and one without. I was a little disappointed since I had hoped the weekday and the weather would give me the ridge to myself.

It was grey and overcast and damp, but the views were fantastic. The mist/clouds made for atmosphere, but made it some difficult to get good photos.


Spent some time watch the mist and listening to the birds. A cup of coffee at this point would have been nice.



And then I headed towards the Tarr Ridge Extravaganza trail and a couple more overlooks. I ran into the owners of the cars. The guy had camped out and his girlfriend had met him that morning. They were nice to talk to and I appreciated that they were picking up other people's trash like I tend to do. We chatted for a couple minutes and then I headed towards the end of the ridge, stopping at another overlook along the way.




I got to the end and followed the long rock wall at the end of the Tarr Ridge Extravaganza trail until it cliffed out ...

...  and then climbed up the rock with the help of a rope that someone left and finished the hike out to the end of the ridge. The view is pretty amazing, I just wished the clouds had broke and let in a little more sun. It was a great place to just sit and look.




I'm going to try to make it back when the leaves are changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.