Friday, May 13, 2016

End of Tunnel Road (part 2)

End of Tunnel Road (part 2)

May 11 2016

I had planned on a 3 day backpacking trip earlier in the week, but I wasn't feel well. Woke up Wed morning and decided that it would be a good day for a trip to the Gorge. Without any planning, I decided to go back to the end of Tunnel Ridge Road, but check out the Auxier Ridge and Double Arch Trails. It had been a while since I had done this loop and I forgot what an awesome hike this is, it has big views from the ridges and a great stretch of trail along the creek (Auxier Branch) in between the two ridges, a little something for everyone.

All of the the mountain laurels are starting to flower and the rhododendron had buds. Found lots of other wildflowers, but I have no idea what they are. I am going to try to get back to the gorge in another week or so to see the flowers in full bloom.









Even the moss below the ridgelines had flowers.

Quaker Ladies Bluets


I had lunch and watched the birds glide above the valley between Auxier Ridge and Double Arch. The only person I saw here was a Forest Service Ranger (1st one I've ever seen on the trails).

Double Arch is right below the bird.




There had been a lot of rain the previous couple of days, so all of the depressions in the rock were filled with water. An unusual view of Raven Rock.

 Ridgeline view towards Courthouse Rock




Random Flowers (identified by copper creek on kywilderness.com)

Maple Leaf Viburnum

Speckled Wood Lily

closeup of Speckled Wood Lily

 Rock and Ferns below Courthouse Rock



Wild Geranium



Yellow Ladyslippers


Along Auxier Branch

Wild Blackberries


Lyre Leaf Sage

Saw a couple salamanders, but they move really fast. This one decided to stay still long enough for a couple pictures.


Double Arch

On top of Double Arch

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this hike in my armchair-lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.