Sunday, March 27, 2016

End of Tunnel Ridge Road

Saturday March 26 2016

It was a perfect day for a hike. Evidently, everyone who has ever been to the Gorge thought so as well. I have never seen so many cars at the end of Tunnel Ridge Road. My plans were a couple of unofficial trails, so I hoped I would not see too many people (ha!). Given the number of hang tags I saw, my guess is the woods were full that night.

A nice walk along the Double Arch Trail, the Redbuds have started blooming.




Then off towards Star Gap Arch. I explored the ridge line near the arch.


You can see a number of people under the arch. Lots of people decided to visit the arch for the first time. I talked to one couple who lived in the area but had never been to the arch. And then towards the end of Star Gap ridge, there was a young guy and what looked to be his parents. He thought they were on the trail to Double Gap Arch (Of course, there was no map). And a young couple who were going to camp out towards Pepe's Point.


I love what water and sandstone does when given enough time. I still wonder why circles like these end up developing.



View from under the arch



No idea what these flowers are, but I like them.


Star Gap Arch from the trail to Jailhouse Rock.


I passed one guy (and his dog) on his way back from Jailhouse Rock and a couple guys had set up camp near the trail and three young guys were just leaving the Rock as I got there. I was glad to have the truly awesome view from Jailhouse Rock all to myself.
 



A great way to spend a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.