Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Saison #4 (dark saison)

I had some D90 and D180 waiting to be used and still had saisons on the brain. I decided to do a dark saison and see if I could tell any difference between the two sugars. To make things interesting, I decided to also try some of the leftover homemade Invert #2 sugar as well. Maybe there is no point buying D90/D180 if I make something just as good.

Brewed 4/15/15
12 gallons

Grain
--------------------------------------------
2 row 18#
Rye Malt 2#
Flaked Rye 3#
Crisp Crystal Rye 1.5#
Chocolate Malt .75#

total 25.25#

Mash Temp = ?

Hops
--------------------------------------------
Nelson Sauvin 1oz @60 mins

Yeast
--------------------------------------------
OYL 211 cake from saison #3

Split 3 ways when yeast was pitched
1) one pound of D180
2) one pound of D90
3) one pound of homemade Invert #2

4/26: 3 gallons of the D180 and D90 went into Better Bottles with dregs, remainder was bottled
Dregs: Anchorage Calabaza Boreal, 3F, Wicked Week Genesis, Fantome

Bottled all of the Invert #2

1/6/16 (a little more than 8 months in the bottle)
Invert #2
A: Dark brown, lots of light tan lace, very sticky
S: Very muted, even as it warms there is just a slight hint of what might be brett
T: Surprisingly there is no brett at all, it doesn't even come across as very dry. There is a hint of sweetness, but I think that is my mind playing tricks. Definitely not a dry beer though.
M: Slightly round and creamy, not an oatmeal stout, but more full than a saison should be.
D: Goes down easy, a nice winter beer, but ultimately something is missing. I hope the soured beers turn out better.



10/24/16
Found a bottle in the back of the fridge, probably been there for 4-6 months. I found myself wishing that I had added brett to the bottle and then looked at this recipe and realized that there was brett, it has just not done very much. It turned out to be a pretty beer though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.