Sunday, January 25, 2015

the day after xmas

With the in-laws in town for the holiday and a nice weather forecast, I was given permission to spend the night in the Gorge. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to explore some of the unofficial trails mentioned in Goodpaster's book "Hinterlands", I also realized that I had not been to Grays Arch in a long time. So, with a part of the Gorge picked, I found a couple unofficial trails in the area as well as a promising place to set up camp.

I started at the Grays Arch parking area and headed out towards the Rough Trail and the "Classic Crag Overlook", the "Left Flank Highride" and the "Whatchamacallit" trails. All three side-trails look out over the valley towards Ravens Rock.

Down one of those trails was an interesting rock formation.


I then got back on the Rough Trail and headed towards Grays Arch. I had forgotten how big it was.




Note the people below the arch.

I then headed down the Rough Trail and up and over Rush Ridge, then out the "Veranda" trail overlooking Pinch-em Tight Ridge.

After enjoying the view, I headed further down the Rough Trail to Rush Branch where I filled up on water for the night's camp up on Hanson's Point. I was hopeful that I would be the only one there since everyone should be home with their families :) Alas, there were two groups of campers already set up. This was not a problem, since the area was large enough for me to find a place to set up my hammock. The sunset was great and then I used an existing fire ring and stared at the "TV" until bedtime.


Woke to a nice sunrise

and then a short walk out to the end of Hanson's Point. You can just see Chimney Top Rock in the first picture.



After this, I headed down the Rough Trail to the Sheltowee Trace to explore potential kid friendly campsites for this summer. Then, up and over Koomer Ridge to the Buck Trail, then Pinch-em tight trail and back to the car where I had a Sierra Nevada Celebration waiting for me. All in all, a great 26 hours in the Gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.