Monday, September 27, 2021

Honey Creek Loop

Honey Creek Loop

Big South Fork 

5/15 - 5/16/21 (1 night)

2021 Bag Nights: 5

I offered to help plan a trip for someone online who had never been to Big South Fork. The process of thinking about trips made me decide that I needed to revisit the area. 

I started up top at the East Rim Overlooking parking area since there had been recent flooding and I was worried that the Leatherwood Ford area would be shut. When I got down there, there were signs of high water but parking would have been no problem. Oh well, I had an extra couple miles of hiking, but they were good miles. 

Mountain Laurels were blooming




I think this is Wild Geranium


Sweetshrub or Calycanthus, I've been told this is rare, I've only seen it in Big South Fork.

The Big South Fork of the Cumberland River

On the other JMT

Nice waterfall a couple miles into the hike


View from the O&W bridge

Jake's Falls

Pink Lady Slipper


Needles Eye or Hole in the Rock


Honey Creek Loop, the trail is a little wet in places

I got to the area I was planning on camping and found it already occupied. But they invited me to setup nearby and I ended up sharing their campfire and chatting for a couple hours. 

Weird Rock in the river (edit: thanks to Georgia Yankee on backcountrypost.com for identifying this as Lepidodendron fossil. More info here - https://samnoblemuseum.ou.edu/common-fossils-of-oklahoma/plant-fossils/fossils-by-plant-group/fossil-lycophytes/)


I climbed up to see the Honey Creek Overlook. The last time I was here there was too much fog/rain to see anything.


Eastern Columbine

Iris

Honey Creek Falls

Different angle

Ice Castle Falls

Secluded Falls

View from an unofficial trail. I ended up chatting with a couple horse people here for a little bit.

And a couple hours later, I was back at my car. This was a great 30ish hour trip with just a few more people than I would normally prefer. 

1 comment:

  1. I liked all the pictures and the trail leading into the trees was special.

    ReplyDelete

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.