Sunday, September 13, 2020

Florida 2020 (part 1)

 July 1 - 4, 2020

Big Cypress National Preserve and Dolphin Research Center (Grassy Key, FL) and Florida Key Deer Refuge.


We were headed to the Florida Keys and were in no hurry to get to the house we were renting since check-in time wasn't until 3pm. So, we took our time along the Tamiami Trail through Big Cypress National Preserve. 

We did a short hike along a boardwalk. We could hear gators honking, but did not see any. 



We then stopped at stopped at the Oasis Visitor Center which was closed but had a short boardwalk along a pond where we saw a couple gators up close.




Then we continued to the Keys and meetup with friends. A couple days later we went to the Dolphin Research Center. I don't normally like things like this because it feels like it is exploiting the animals. I don't like most zoos for the same reason. With that said, this was way better than something like Seaworld. And it was neat to see dolphins up close.


My wife and kids got in the water while I took photos. They said it was awesome. 







We took our time getting to Key West because of another afternoon check-in time. 

We took a short hike to the Blue Hole where we heard gators but did not see any.

And then drove around a bit exploring and looking for Key Deer. I saw a couple crossing roads in the distance, but by the time I turned around, they were into the brush. I was hoping that the kids would get to see one so I kept driving. As we passed an intersection, I saw a car stopped a bit up the crossroad and I immediately thought "bear jam" like Yellowstone. So I turned around and drove up the road to find a moron out of her car and feeding a deer. There are signs all over saying that it is illegal to feed animals. I stuck my head out the window and yelled that she was breaking the law and she hopped in the car and quickly drove off. I took a couple photos and left the deer in peace.


A little more wandering/driving.

Flamingo in the distance.


And then off to Key West for the big adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.