Monday, August 14, 2017

Waterfalls and kids

Yamacraw Bridge Trailhead (Big South Fork)
6/25 - 6/27/17 (2 nights)
2017 bag nights: 13

I took my oldest on a two night backpacking trip in Big South Fork. We started at the Yamacraw Bridge trailhead and took the Sheltowee Trace north to Princess Falls where we set up camp. Princess Falls is just off camera to the right.

I had been by here once before and had it pegged as a great place to camp with kids. Thankfully, no one else was there (although we passed about 15 people total that had day hiked to the falls).

Princess Falls

The kids had fun playing in the sand and water while I read a book.

And played with my SLR and tripod


The next day, we hiked about a mile to Lick Creek Falls.

I'll bet it is pretty neat after a lot of rain.

Someone had clearly been doing some engineering, my kids proceeded to add to the construction.

not bad for a cell phone photo

While they worked on their construction project, I got out the tripod and SLR again. The falls are really hard to capture because there is a huge dynamic range. On top of that, they are tall and wide and it is impossible to back up because of the vegetation. The below photo is a stitch of 8 individual photos and probably gives the best idea of what the falls look like, except you can barely see the water of the falls.







Then back to camp and more playing in the water. I got a fire going to roast marshmallows.

Almost sunset, almost bedtime

"Can I read just a little bit by the fire?"

We had a great couple of nights, the kids played well with each other and everyone had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For some reason, I am unable to reply to comments. I do appreciate the few that I receive.